What is data protection?
It is the means by which the privacy rights of individuals are safeguarded in relation to the processing of their personal data. The Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003 confer rights on individuals as well as placing responsibilities on those persons processing personal data.
‘MSD Action Foundation’ and its subsidiary ‘MSD Patient Registry’ and in particular its data controllers endeavour to fully comply with The Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003 to safeguard data collected from data subjects. As we are a non-profit organisation we are exempt from registering with the Data Protection Commissioner in Ireland. This in no way exempts us from being fully compliant with The Data Protection Acts 1988 and 2003. These Acts are in line with international good practice.
Here are our key data protection responsibilities in relation to the information we will process regarding data subjects. We are legally obliged and hereby endeavour to adhere to the following:
• Obtain and process information fairly
• Keep it only for one or more specified, explicit and lawful purposes
• Use and disclose it only in ways compatible with these purposes
• Keep it safe and secure
• Keep it accurate, complete and up-to-date
• Ensure that it is adequate, relevant and not excessive
• Retain it for no longer than is necessary for the purpose or purposes
• Give a copy of his/her personal data to an individual, on request
If you have any questions in relation to data protection please email email@example.com